Independent consultants and freelancers must become experts in delivering their services online.
Many major corporations are moving large percentages of their workforce out of the office. Working from home is proving to be highly effective for many computer-enabled businesses. Working from home is more efficient and cost-effective than spending hours commuting or flying thousands of miles to see clients.
Many Forms of Consulting Work Well Online
Many consulting techniques work well and sometimes better online than onsite. Of course, you have to adapt your style and format, but it is amazing how much can be done online. Some online consulting services that can be delivered online are,
- One to one mentoring and coaching
- One to many mentoring and group coaching
- “Classroom” training
- New hire interviewing
- New hire onboarding
- Management and executive interviewing
- Strategy preparation and interviewing
- Management or executive roundtables
- Brainstorming sessions with multiple teams
- Whiteboard sticky-note note sessions
- Process mapping with teams
- Mind Mapping with teams
Online has very real advantages,
- No travel
- Easy to recapture events and write notes
- No lost time moving between venues (multiple clients per day)
- 1:1 and small group coaching becomes more affordable
- Asynchronous webinars allow participants to learn on their own time
- Sharing “live” documents in Microsoft 365 or Google's G Suite
- Just-In-Time mentoring and support
Of course, there are downsides to online consulting. Online consulting makes it more difficult to recognize emotional cues, monitor side conversations, and respond with facial mirroring.
Strategies, Tactics, and Tips for
Consultants and Independent Professionals
Stay up to date with the latest opportunities, strategies, tactics, and tips for
independent consultants and professionals.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.